Teams | Standings | Schedules | Gamescores | Players Looking for a Team? | Coach Admin
last updated: 03/02/2003
1. The name of the society is:
Langley Mixed Slo-Pitch League
2. The Purposes of the League are:
1. To promote and encourage Slo-Pitch in the Langley area.
2. To promote participation in a sportsmanlike manner always.
3. To provide for the mutual interests of all players in a harmonious manner.
4. To provide an outlet for all levels of competition.
5. To encourage players to become involved in the coaching, managing, umpiring and executive aspects of our League’s operations.
6. To continually maintain and improve the diamonds made available to the League from all sources.
1. In the event that the association should at any time be wound up or dissolved, the remaining assets after payment of all debts and liabilities shall be turned over to a recognized charitable organization in the province or elsewhere in Canada as directed by the members. This provision is unalterable.
Here set forth, in numbered clauses, the bylaws providing for the matters referred to in section 6 (1) of the Society Act and any other bylaws.
Article 1 – Interpretation
1) (i) In these bylaws, unless the context otherwise requires:
a. “executive” means the Executive of the society for the time being;
b. “Society Act” means the Society Act of British Columbia from time to time in force and all amendments to it;
c. “registered address” of a member means the member’s address as recorded in the register of members.
(ii) The definitions in the Society Act on the date these bylaws become effective apply to these bylaws.
2) Words importing the singular include the plural and vice versa, and words importing a male person include a female person and a corporation.
Article 2 – Membership
Section 1 – Existing Teams
1) Each new season, the League will consist of all teams that played in the League in the previous season, provided that they:
a. Wish to retain their membership,
b. Agree to abide by the Constitution and Bylaws,
Section 2 – New Teams
1. New teams may apply to our League by submitting a Letter of Intent to any member of the Executive prior to the Annual Spring Meeting. Applicants will be admitted by a vote with those receiving the highest amount of votes offered membership until all vacant spaces are occupied. Those Teams accepted into the League will have no voting privileges during their first season.
2. New teams, following a one season probationary period, will be reviewed by the Executive on their participation, sportsmanship and overall conduct. This review will be presented at the Annual Fall Meeting, with the League deciding whether the new teams have to reapply. Teams will enjoy full voting privileges if accepted into the League.
3. New teams are required to abide by the Constitution and Bylaws, and agree to assume all other normal League duties as specified by the Executive.
4. New teams will submit their entry fee deposit, recommended by the Executive and agreed upon at the Annual Fall Meeting, along with the existing teams at the Annual Spring Meeting.
5. No teams, new or existing, will be admitted after the Annual Spring Meeting, unless deemed necessary by the Executive. If a replacement team is necessary the Executive will contact the Team(s) who received the highest amount of votes at the Annual Spring meeting but were not asked to join the League.
Section 3 – Members in Good Standing
1. To be a member in good standing, a team must meet the following requirements:
a. Have no outstanding monies owed and/or,
b. have not caused their own disbarment or suspension through disruptive actions in the League.
Article 3 – Organization
Section 1 – Executive Positions
The League executive shall consist of President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer, Special-Events Coordinator, and Past President. All but the Past President shall be elected to their positions on an annual basis.
Section 2 – Duties of the Executive
1. The President shall;
a. Chair all meetings,
b. Call meetings of the Executive and the League as he deems necessary and subject to the requirements of these Bylaws and the Society Act.
c. Represent the League at any functions requiring a representative from the League.
d. Ensure that all Executive members are fulfilling their obligations.
e. Assign additional duties to other Executive members as he deems necessary.
f. Receive, conduct and report on all League correspondence.
g. Be responsible for the scheduling of all games. This will include the regular season and the playoffs.
h. In the event he cannot attend a function or complete a duty, he may appoint any Executive member of his choice as “Acting President.”
2. The Vice President shall:
a. Be responsible to insure competent umpires at all League and play-off games.
b. Be responsible for rescheduling playing fields and umpires for game cancellations and rain outs.
c. Report accurate standings to the local newspaper each week.
d. Report all fines to the Treasurer at least one week before each general meeting.
e. Perform other functions as required by the League and the President.
3. The Secretary shall:
a. Record and distribute minutes of all League and Executive meetings.
b. Conduct the fall elections in terms of ballot distribution and voting procedures.
c. Maintain files with accurate records of all meetings, League correspondence, trophy winners, championship teams and eligibility lists.
d. Collect, process and distribute team contact lists.
e. Where feasible, keep the membership informed of the League happenings through the press.
f. Be responsible for the collection and distribution of all League trophies and awards.
g. Perform other functions as required by the League and the President.
4. The Treasurer shall:
a. Be responsible for all financial matters of the League.
b. Keep an accurate record of fines levied and inform Team Representatives of their bond balance at each League meeting. Collect new fine bonds as deemed necessary.
c. Keep accurate and updated records of League finances and report same to the Team Representatives at each League meeting.
d. Be responsible for the placement and payment of all ads in the newspaper concerning League activities.
e. Submit an annual financial report for the previous year to the incoming Executive at the Annual Fall Meeting.
f. Perform other functions as required by the League and the President.
5. The Special Events Coordinator shall:
a. Be responsible for all aspects of the Preseason Kick-off.
b. Be responsible for coordinating the League dance with the team(s) responsible for managing and staffing the event.
c. Be responsible for coordinating the beer Garden at League tournaments.
d. Be responsible for the purchasing and engraving of all League trophies and awards.
e. Upon completion of an event, a full accounting, complete with backup vouchers, along with profits, will be turned over to the Treasurer. This accounting will be prepared within fifteen (15) days of the event. Failure to submit reports and profits in a satisfactory manner within the stipulated time frame will cause the Executive to investigate immediately.
f. Work together with the Executive on all matters pertaining to League functions.
g. Perform other functions as required by the League and the President.
6. The Past President shall:
a. Act in an advisory capacity on all League matters.
b. Perform other functions as required by the League and the President.
Section 3 – Team Representatives
1. Each team will submit the name, address and telephone number of two (2) Team Representatives at the Annual Spring Meeting. The Team is responsible for keeping the President current on changes that on the status of Representatives as well as their contact information. These Representatives shall have the following responsibilities:
a. Act as liaison between the teams, the players and the Executive.
b. Ensures that all members of their Team are aware of the contents of this Constitution and Bylaws.
c. Carry their team’s vote at all League meetings (one vote per Team).
d. Distribute information concerning League rules to their players.
e. Signs all protests made by his Team and submit such to the Executive.
f. Attends all League meetings, or if unable to do so, appoint an alternate Representative from their Team.
g. Be responsible for all duties associated with game cancellation and rescheduling for games involving their Team.
h. Submits information to the Secretary concerning their Team, which they feel is worthy of public exposure via such methods as newspaper publications.
i. Perform other functions as required by the League and the President.
Section 4 – Notice to Teams.
1. Notice may be given to a teams’s representative, either personally or by mail to the representative at the representative’s registered address.
2. The Executive must give proper notice to all teams for any general meeting. Proper notice being no less than fourteen (14) days prior to the meeting time.
Section 5 – General League Meetings.
1. The Annual Spring Meeting (ASM) is to be held between January 15 and March 15 of each year. At that meeting, New and Existing Teams must make a non-refundable deposit toward their entry fee. This amount will be recommended by the Executive and put to a vote at the Annual Fall meeting. As well, the admission of any new Team to the League will be voted upon.
2. The Annual Fall Meeting (AFM) will be held between September 15 and November 15 of each year. At this meeting, any amendments to the Constitution will be voted upon. The Executive will also outline plans for the upcoming season and distribute information to the Team Representatives that should be considered before the Annual Spring Meeting.
3. The Preseason Kick-off (PKO), or any event held in its place, will be on the weekend immediately prior to the start of the regular schedule with the schedules of the regular season, and any other material necessary, distributed. The balance of the Teams’ entry fees will be due at this time.
4. A General Meeting may be called at anytime by the President, provided proper notice is given.
5. Failure to attend the Annual Spring Meeting (ASM) and the Annual Fall Meeting (AFM) will result in the Team’s ejection from the League.
6. Any Team Representative more than thirty (30) minutes late for the start of a meeting will be deemed absent.
7. Only Team Representatives and Executive Committee members are to sit in League meetings. The President may at his discretion, invite guest(s) to sit at the meeting, for observation or input. If certain members present, feel some League matters should be kept private from invited guests, the President may request the guest(s) to absent themselves from the meeting during that discussion period.
Section 6 – Voting
1. A quorum at any General Meeting is 2/3 of the Teams with voting privileges is and must include the President or his designate, but shall never be less than three (3) teams present.
2. Business, other than the election of a chair and the adjournment or termination of the meeting, must not be conducted at a general meeting at a time when quorum is not present.
3. If at any time during a general meeting there ceases to be a quorum present, business then in progress must be suspended until there is a quorum present or until the meeting is adjourned or terminated.
4. All votes will be taken after a reasonable discussion of the issues.
5. At a General meeting, each Team with voting privileges will have one vote.
6. Votes may not be cast by proxy.
7. A quorum of 3/4 of the Teams in attendance (with voting privileges) is required to deal with Constitutional and Bylaw issues, but shall never be less than three (3) teams present.
Section 7 – Elections
1. All positions, except Past President, shall be elected annually.
2. Nominations for all positions will be submitted to the President at the Annual Fall Meeting.
3. Nominations can be for any number of positions and must be made by a Team representative in good standing and seconded by same.
4. A majority on the Executive can not be from one Team.
5. Voting will occur at the Annual Fall Meeting. For each position being voted upon, Team Representatives will cast one (1) vote, with no Team being able to cast more than one vote.
6. In the event no nominations are received for a position, the Executive will seek volunteers for acclamation. If the position cannot be filled with volunteers, the Executive will seek to appoint individuals and the League will have no recourse.
7. In the event that the positions cannot be filled by any of the above means, the Executive will call an emergency meeting in December to discuss the feasibility of the continued existence of the League.
8. If at the December meeting called to discuss the lack of nominations, or if during the season an Executive member resigns voluntarily or otherwise, then it will be at the President’s discretion to operate the League with one or more of the Executive positions unoccupied. The President will have the option of assigning the duties of the vacant positions to other executive members. The only position which must be filled is that of President.
9. a) The members may, by special resolution, remove an executive member, before the expiration of his term, and may elect a successor to complete the term of office.
b) The notice of special resolution for expulsion must be accompanied by a brief statement of the reasons for the proposed expulsion.
c) The person who is the subject of the proposed resolution for expulsion must be given an opportunity to be heard at the general meeting before the special resolution is put to a vote.
Section 8 – League Committee’s
1. At the discretion of the President, a committee may be struck to deal with any issue or function the President or executive feels is necessary. The committee Chair will report to the President.
Section 9 – Executive Meetings.
1. Executive meetings will be called at the discretion of the President.
2. A quorum at any Executive meeting shall be 2/3 of the Executive and must include the President or his designate.
3. Any member of the Executive who absents himself from two (2) regular and/or Executive meetings, without having been granted a leave of absence by the Executive Committee, shall cease to be a member of the Executive.
4. The Executive Committee shall be allowed a maximum promotional allowance of one hundred and fifty ($150) dollars per executive member per year.
Article 4 – League Finances
Section 1 – Entry Fee
1. The entry fee will be recommended by the Executive and put to a vote at the Annual Fall meeting.
2. The entry fee is to cover the operating expenses of the League for the upcoming season. The Treasurer will give his best estimate for the revenues and expenses to be covered. Team Representatives will have a chance to study and question the estimates prior to the vote being called.
Section 2 – Park Improvement Fee
1. A Park Improvement fee recommended by the Executive and agreed upon at the Annual Fall Meeting shall be added to the entry fee and payable with the entry fee.
Section 3 – Game Forfeit/Fine Bond
1. A game forfeit/fine bond recommended by the Executive and agreed upon at the Annual Fall Meeting shall be added to the entry fee and payable with the entry fee.
2. Should the bond be exhausted, the Treasurer will inform the Team Representative and a new game forfeit/fine bond will be posted prior to the next game or within 72 hours, whichever is later. Game forfeiture will be assessed until the new bond is paid and at the discretion of the Executive the team may be ejected from the League.
3. The Treasurer will have a list of penalties levied against each team and will distribute this list at each League meeting. Such listings shall include each Team’s balance and the reasons for any fines.
4. All fines owing to the League must be paid on or before the Annual Fall meeting. Failure to do so will result in the Team being ejected from the League.
5. Any team having outstanding monies owing to the League at the time of the Annual Spring meeting will not be permitted to pay their entry fee until such monies are paid.
Section 4 – League Accounts
1. All League accounts will have co-signing power. All cheques issued by our League must be signed by the Treasurer and Secretary or President.
2. No cheques may be signed blank. When signed, the cheque must be filled out completely, containing the date, amount, payee and encoded to indicate the reason for the payment.
3. The Treasurer’s report will be submitted at regular and other League meetings and shall be a formal accounting document. Failure to do so will cause the Executive to immediately investigate.
4. It is advised that all League financial transactions be conducted in cheque form. Receipts should always be expected and should be filed for future reference.
5. No members, directors or executive may, on behalf of or in the name of the League, borrow monies for the purposes of the league.
Article 5 – Constitution or Bylaw Amendments
1. Amendments can only be made at the Annual Fall meeting by special resolution.
2. Proper notice must be given for any proposed amendments.
3. Each amendment, whether separately or in block form, shall be put to a General League meeting vote. Acceptance of such amendment shall require 3/4 majority of those voting members in attendance at a meeting called for this purpose.
4. In order that the League be maintained, seasonal amendments may be put forward by the Executive during the year at any League meeting. Acceptance of these amendments shall not form a part of the Constitution or bylaws until it has gained the 3/4 League majority (teams with voting privileges only) vote at the Annual Fall meeting. The approved amendments will not take effect until filed and registered by the Registrar of Companies.
5. A Team Representative can suggest an amendment but only the Executive can put it before a meeting for a vote.
6. It is understood that the Constitution and bylaws will be enforced to the letter. Ignorance of any part(s) of the Constitution or bylaws shall not be considered valid grounds for infractions.
- By admin
- May 3, 2014