Players Looking for a Team? |
LMSP League Rules Section 1 - Slo-Pitch National Section 2 - Player Eligibility Section 3 - Eligibility Lists Section 4 - Divisional Structure Section 5 - Scheduling Section 6 - Game Length Section 7 - Game Commencement Section 8 - Game Cancellation Section 9 - Official score Section 10 - Standings Section 11 - Playoff Eligibility Section 12 - Tournament structure Section 13 - Ties for Positioning Section 14 - Umpires Section 15 - Home Team Responsibilities Section 16 - Protests Section 17 - Unacceptable Behaviour Section 18 - Suspensions Section 19 - Listing of Fines LMSPL Game Rules
The Constitution of the Langley Mixed Slo-pitch League shall hold authority over League matters with the exception of: League Rules
Section 1 - Slo-Pitch National 1. The Langley Mixed Slo-Pitch League [LMSPL] will be affiliated with Slo-Pitch National for the purposes of obtaining all updated information on the sport of Slo-Pitch and to allow any of our teams to participate in the Divisional, Provincial and National Slo-Pitch tournaments. 2. Slo-Pitch National RuleBook (latest edition) will be used by the League and will hold authority over all situations with the exception of LMSPL specific “Game Rules”.
Section 2 - Player Eligibility
1. To be eligible to play on a sanctioned team, a player must meet the following requirements:
All players must be 18 years of age or older during the season.Government PHOTO ID must be produced upon request
Government PHOTO ID must be produced within 24 hours during the regular season and upon request during the playoffs. If no ID is produced within the specified time frame the team will forfeit the game.
Maximum 2 players under 18 [16 & 17 yo] may play if Parent consent is given.Parent’s signature is required on the SPN Membership form.
Must not receive financial remuneration to play, coach or manage.
Consequences: League and Round Robin games, Teams can be penalized regardless of when played. If the player is found to be in contravention of the above, the game will be a forfeit.
2. Teams may "borrow" two (2) players from another team in our League if they do not have enough players to field a team. Teams MUST play their entire bench BEFORE using a borrowed player eg) if there is a girl on the bench, a guy could not be borrowed. Teams may ONLY "borrow" players from THEIR letter division or LOWER ie A can borrow from A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J, D from D/E/F/G/H/I/J, J from J/I/K etc, as long as their name appears on the League’s eligibility list and the team in question has insufficient players to field a team. Teams can NOT borrow players for League Year-end playoffs.
Borrowed players must have their named circled and their team identified on the Line Up card.
Borrowed players must bat in the last available position on the line up ie] Guy/Girl = 9/10; Guy/Guy = 7/9, Girl/Girl = 8/10.
Consequences: League and Round Robin games, Teams can be penalized regardless of when played. If the player is found to be in contravention of the above, the game will be a forfeit. Teams caught using illegal players during elimination play will be kicked out of the league and forced to re-apply at the back of the que.
3. Players not at the park for game time may be listed on the roster as substitutes and may participate in the game in that capacity. Any player arriving at the park must, at first opportunity, be substituted for a "borrowed" player.
4. Any player ejected from a game will also be suspended for their next regularly scheduled game [includes 2nd game of a double header].
5. Should any Team cause their own disbarment for any reason and for any duration, then each player that is on the eligibility list at the time of the disbarment, shall also be disbarred.
6. Any player who is disqualified because of the disqualification of his team, may apply to the Executive for special consideration. It will be at the Executive Committee's discretion to allow that player to participate on another team.
Section 3 - Eligibility Lists
1. A team's eligibility list (SPN RELEASE OF LIABILITY ROSTER) must be completed and returned to the Executive prior to the start of the season (date TBD).
2. A team may carry a maximum of forty (40) players plus a non-playing coach. A playing coach must be listed as a player. Players can only be listed on one (1) team's roster.
3. Each player MUST be named on the eligibility list. Failure to do so shall constitute an incomplete eligibility list.
4. Inclusion of an individual's name on the eligibility list is an indication that the individual is aware of the contents of the Constitution and Bylaws, and will abide by its rules, regulations and intent.
5. Failure to supply the required eligibility list by the stated date will carry a fine of one hundred ($100) dollars to the team and forfeiture of all games played until the list is submitted. After two (2) forfeitures, the President shall call an executive meeting to determine the future of the offending team as pertaining continued membership within the League
6. Individual players are eligible to spare for any team in THEIR letter division or HIGHER ie A for A, D for A/B/C/D, J for A/B/C/D/E/F/G/H/I/J etc, as long as their name appears on the League’s eligibility list and the team in question has insufficient players to field a team.
7. Teams may add up to two players if sufficient space exists on their SPN Roster Sheet. The deadline is TBD. Teams may remove a player from their roster due to an injury to make room. Teams interested must contact the Executive for details.
8. Players may transfer [once during the season BEFORE play offs] from one team to another provided that the team the player wishes to transfer to has space on their SPN Roster Sheet. The Executive must be notified of this transfer. Failure to do so will nullify the transfer.
Section 4 - Divisional Structure
1. The LMSPL will provide an opportunity for its members to participate in different divisions of play.
2. The divisions will be created with every effort to maintain harmony and fairness to all members. Based on the final standings from League play in the previous year, each new year may see the top two (2) teams of each division compete in the next highest division, and the bottom two (2) teams of a division compete in the next lowest division. This realignment is valid if the affected teams return.
3. Any Team can request to be placed in a particular division with the Executive making the eventual decision.
4. Divisions may be affected by the number and/or caliber of new teams joining the League.
5. The Executive reserves the right to change any team’s placement at any time.
Section 5 - Scheduling
1. Every effort will be made to meet the requirements of each team. The assignments of diamonds, dates and times will be as fair and as equitable as possible.
2. Play-off schedules will be handled in the same manner.
3. If any Team has conflicts that the Executive should be aware of, that Team must make this known in writing at the Annual Spring Meeting. The League cannot guarantee that all conflicts will be dealt with to the satisfaction of the Team.
Section 6 - Game Length
1. Game length is seven (7) innings, time permitting. At Sixty (60) minutes, the inning in progress is completed and the next one is open. If the game is tied after time expires, the score stands. If time permits extra innings will be played until a winner is determined. Extra innings will abide by SPN rules, latest revision.
2. If due to rain, darkness, time limit, or other reasons as determined by the umpire(s), the games is called before seven (7) innings, but after five (5) innings of play, the score at the end of the last complete inning will be used.
3. Games called before the end of five (5) innings are ruled incomplete and will be rescheduled.
4. If a home team is ahead, the bottom of the last inning need not be played to qualify as a complete inning.
Section 7 - Game Commencement
1. There will be no grace period at the start of the game.
2. A game forfeiture due to lack of players will result in Fifty ($50) dollar fine, unless prior notice by 5:00pm TWO DAYS PRIOR to game time was given to the Vice President and/or the President [via email or by phone] AND THE OPPOSING TEAM [by phone]. If NO NOTICE IS GIVEN to the OPPOSING TEAM by 5:00pm ONE DAY PRIOR to game time, the fine rises to seventy-five ($75) dollars ($50 to the League, $25 to the opposing team). Continued failure to supply sufficient players as required may result in additional fines and the team’s suspension or expulsion.
Section 8 - Game Cancellation
1. Teams will be informed as to canceled games by 5pm game day.
2. Games to be rescheduled for:
a. Rain out. If there is inclement weather on game day it must be assumed that there is still the possibility of play. Unless the Executive has informed the coach, everyone should show ready to play. If, at game time or during the game, the umpires feel play is unsafe, the game is canceled.
3. All efforts will be made to reschedule the Games within three (3) Sundays after the regular scheduled game.
Section 9 - Official Score
1. In all games, each team is required to supply the opposing team a copy of the final batting order, complete with the full names of all the players.
2. Scorekeepers are encouraged to verify scores during the game. 3. In the event of discrepancies which cannot be resolved at the game site, the Home Team's score sheet shall be considered official
Section 10 - Standings
1. Standings will be recorded as Games won, Games lost, Games tied, Percentage (%) of games won, Runs for and Runs against.
Section 11 - Playoff Eligibility
1. Any player listed on a team's eligibility list will be allowed to participate in League playoffs if he has shown a commitment to the League by playing in a minimum seven (7) games of their team's games through the League schedule. Each game played as a member of a team’s roster will count towards the minimum games required.
2. Teams who forfeit one game during the play-offs will have to reapply the following season.
3. A player who spares for a team on which they are not listed may not count that game towards play-off eligibility.
4. A player who transfers to another team during the regular season may count their games played with the previous team towards play off eligibility.
Section 12 - Tournament Structure
1. Round Robin: as determined by the Executive. 2. Elimination Round: as determined by the Executive.
Section 13 - Ties for Positioning
1. In case of a tie for positioning at the end of the regular season, the following will be considered, in order listed, to break the tie:
a. Winning percentage, then
b. Games won, then
c. Games tied, then
d. Games lost, then
e. The record of play between the teams, then
f. Run differential between the teams, with the highest differential taking precedence, then
g. Run differential in League play for all games, with the highest differential taking precedence, then
h. A coin toss.
2. The League tournament will follow the SPN (latest ed.) Tournament Team Ranking Criteria for placing or tie breaking.
Section 14 - Umpires
1. All LMSPL umpires will be SPN carded.
Section 15 - Home Team Responsibilities
1 Pre-game diamond preparation will include: a) Supplying and securing the bases and clean up of dug out and field.
2. A NEW game ball must be supplied by the home team and must be of the type supplied by the League. Both teams are responsible for providing an acceptable (in the umpire's decision) second ball.
3. Post-game clean up of the diamond area. Make sure any League equipment and or property have been returned to the PROPER lock boxes and the box secured. Any garbage should be removed from the diamond and dugout areas.
4. If the Home Team fails to store the League equipment after a game and the result is the loss of the equipment, the Team will be responsible to the League for the replacement of the lost equipment.
5. Failure to fulfill any Home team duty will result in a one hundred ($100) dollar fine for each infraction.
Section 16 - Protests
1. Protests will not be accepted or considered when concerning judgment calls of the umpire.
2. Protests as to the official rules of play shall be dealt with immediately (before the next pitch) by the umpires.
3. Official game protests – The umpire MUST be notified that the game is being played under protest and the protest must be submitted, within seventy-two (72) hours and in writing, to the Secretary accompanied by a one hundred ($100) dollar fee. The fee will be returned if the protest is upheld.
4. Protest resolution procedures:
a. Within twenty-four (24) hours of an Executive committee member being made aware of a protest, the President shall be informed. The President will, within 48 hours, arrange a committee of three (3) Executive members or three (3) Team Representatives, none of who will be on the Teams involved in the protest.
b. The committee will be responsible for obtaining all the factual information regarding the protest.
c. Within ten (10) days of being assigned the task, the committee will gather information, make their decision and forward the package on to the President in writing.
d. The President will deliver his/her binding decision to the parties involved.
e. The protest committee is an ad hoc committee and may vary with each new protest.
Section 17 - Unacceptable Behaviour
1. A physical strike by any member of the LMSPL as a result of League activities shall result in the suspension of that member for a period of three (3) to five (5) years from the date of the incident. Following the suspension, re-admission may only be granted through a General meeting vote with a majority 3/4 League affirmative vote.
2. Any member, who threatens to strike someone as a result of League activities, will be suspended for the balance of the season including the Year End Tournament. Following suspension, re-admission may only be granted through a General meeting vote with majority 2/3 in attendance affirmative vote.
3. Verbal abuse or general threat will result in a penalty ranging from a warning to a one year suspension, depending on the extent, the severity and the nature of the abuse.
4. Any team member consuming alcoholic beverages at a League sanctioned event which were NOT purchased from a League authorized representative will have the team fined Two Hundred and Fifty ($250) dollars and that player suspended for the rest of the season including the Year End Tournament. The suspended player’s team will receive a warning and put on probation for the current and next playing year.
5. Managers/coaches are expected to promote sportsman like behavior within our leagues and slo-pitch in general. Failure to do so may result in the Manager/coach and entire team placed on probation or expelled from the league.
6. Resolution procedures:
1. The plaintiff should report unsportsmanlike conduct, verbally to any member of the Executive. This is to be followed by a written report to the President before any action will be taken. Such reports should be fully documented and signed by the game umpire, if applicable. Reports must be submitted within seventy-two (72) hours of the infraction.
2. A LMSPL Disciplinary Committee will be struck [quorum of the Executive] to discuss each report. The Plaintiff and the Accused will be invited to attend and give their side of the story. In their absence, the Executive will rule on the matter.
3. The LMSPL Disciplinary Committee decision will not be put to a General League meeting.
4. Any member of the LMSPL who feels they have been unjustly penalized may appeal the decision, in writing, to the President, within 48 hours of his notification. After reviewing the situation, the President's decision will be final.
Section 18 – Suspensions
1. LMSPL reserves the right to withdraw the membership of any team or individual who is determined to be acting contrary to the best interests of the game of slo-pitch and/or the LMSPL.
2. Upon request, LMSPL will consider enforcing suspensions imposed by other sporting organizations and all such suspensions shall be dealt with through the LMSPL Disciplinary Committee.
Section 19 - Listing of Fines Following is a listing of fines, along with a short description of the infraction leading to the fine. The complete description of the infraction is within the referenced page (p) and section (s).
P2, S3 Failure to submit Eligibility List (SPN Roster sheet) $ 100
P3, S7 Forfeiture of a game $ 50 - 75
P4, S11 Failure to complete Home Team Duties $ 100
P5, S17 League sanctioned event $ 250
General NSF cheques $ 50